The aim of the Met Office is to provide for the UK an effective, modern and efficient National Meteorological Service.
The principal objectives of the Met Office are:
- To enhance the effectiveness of the UK Armed Forces by providing a range of weather-related products to Defence customers;
- To provide a range of weather warnings and emergency services related to public and maritime safety;
- To meet the needs of civil aviation for meteorological services as specified by the Civil Aviation Authority;
- To develop and pursue profitable commercial outlets for services, within Government guidelines;
- To operate efficiently, providing maximum advantage to the taxpayer, whilst improving the quality of services and products.
The Met Office will support and engage in the VGISC proposal in the SIMDAT project. The work will involve agreeing mechanisms for sharing data, and exploring new contributory technologies, such as the Data Grid.
UK Met Office website